Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Neighbourinoes

Well, this week I've been printing calico bags.  I'm working on 2,000 of them.  One print on the front and another on the back.  Keeps me busy.  I'm very grateful for the iPod and radio to keep me entertained while I do robot work.  Here's a little pile of them.  I think there's only about 100 here:


So far I've printed one side of about 600 of them.  Golly it's an interesting job.  I'm going back to it again tomorrow.  Only 1400 more of one side to do, followed by 2,000 of the other side.  It's funny doing this work and knowing how much money I'm making for the boss and realising that I'm being paid a tiny fraction of the amount he is charging.  I think I am more than covering his overheads.

Today I went kayaking with my marvellous mate, Walter.  He also came over last night to console me after I'd had a barney with the next door neighbour.  The neighbour's dog has been going off its nut at me every time I walk out the back door for months now.  I finally snapped and asked him to do something about it.  He yelled at me for quite some time until I decided to walk away, at which point he continued to yell, but I could no longer hear him.   I'm just really surprised that he hasn't noticed his dog going nuts for months.

Walter should've been a diplomat.  Today, when we came back from kayaking, we went to sit in the back yard.  The dog, of course, went spacko.  Walter went over and tried to talk to it.  It continued to go spacko.  The owner came out and Walter had a nice chat with him, dog continued to go spacko.   I tried to talk to the owner, too, but am now persona non grata.

Anyway, the wash up is that the neighbours now seem to be doing something about the dog making a racket.  It's probably the best I can hope for.

The funniest part of the whole exchange was when the dog owner berated me for being a 'Mainlander'.  Yes, I come from the mainland.  He'd probably be surprised if he knew I was from Darwin.  Darwin is even more frontiersville than Tasmania.

Ah well.  I'll give it another year and see what happens.  It was a bit of a leap to come here and hasn't worked out quite as I expected, but I love the garden and the house and cats are very happy, as am I in general.

1 comment:

Ampersand Duck said...

Sounds like he couldn't hear the dog going spacko because of all the defensive voices in his head going spacko.

Say hello to Wally for me!