Sunday, November 6, 2011

Travel Adventures, courtesy of QANTAS.

God I love flying, and the landscape and skyscapes were absolutely stunning all the way to Canberra.  Here's a shot taken between Melbourne and Canberra.

Everything was sooooo green.

So the trip went well and I had a fabulous time catching up with friends and going to galleries.  I stayed with friends who occupy a penthouse (still don't quite believe that I know people who live in  a penthouse).  The views were spectacular.  Here's one looking off to the West.

Everything was going swimmingly until I got back from a party on Saturday night to hear that QANTAS had grounded its fleet.  I was supposed to fly out on the Sunday morning.  I'm still gobsmacked that the management of QANTAS took such a radical step.  I hear they have the same legal advisors as Patrick Stevedores, so I suppose it shouldn't be all that surprising.

So... I got to spend an extra two days in Canberra, which, to be honest, wasn't that much of a trauma.  It meant that I had to buy a new ticket to get home on Tuesday and the boss was thoroughly unimpressed that I wasn't at work.  I'm not particularly happy about having to take more leave.

The wash up is that I'll get the money I paid for the extra tickets refunded, thank goodness.  This will make the  credit card look a little healthier.  Apparenly QANTAS is also giving away fares, including to New Zealand, so there may be another holiday on the cards.

Unfortunately there are lots of other costs that I can't get reimbursed. I had to pay for another 3 days of cat minding and also had to go to a doctor on a Sunday to get scripts as I'd only taken enough with me for the planned trip.  There's an extra couple of hundred I didn't have to spare.

Anyway, the cats were well cared for but very happy to see me back.  I was covered head to foot in cat hair within five minutes of arriving home.

When I go away the cats are locked inside.  Dusty is a bit of an escapologist and managed to break out of the cat door so she was outside when I got home.  I suppose this is OK as she doesn't go far and she can get back in when she wants to.

They were both very pleased to get access to the back yard again, particularly as there are baby sparrows around.  Here they are attempting to be surreptitious and stalking a baby bird - without success as they are both belled.

So the family is back together, I'm back at work and life continues.


The Elephant's Child said...

I am glad that you had a pleasant (albeit expensive) time here. Love the image of the cats (surreptiously) hunting in a pack. Ours are belled too - Jazz has three bells now. Do yours wriggle their behinds in excitement just before they pounce?

Anonymous said...


I’m a journalist for the Sydney Morning Herald. I’m researching a story on compensation for Qantas customers affected by the recent grounding.

I was wondering if you had yet received compensation for your flights and any other expenses incurred.



Cat Drawings said...

Hi James

Still no money from Qantas. They contacted me a couple of times for bank details to refund the extra tickets I had to buy. They told me early last week that they would pay this back but the money hasn't arrived.

As for the other expenses, I didn't even bother to claim as I didn't have receipts.

Hope your story goes well.

Cat Drawings said...

Just a postscript, James

This also means that I am paying credit card interest for all of the costs involved with the grounding.